Friday, March 11, 2011

On the Shelf, and Other Hair-Raising Tales

I look back on yesterday afternoon and think about how I could have used the event to raise some money for Team in Training and the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society...

But yesterday afternoon was an opportunity for me to mark a lot of changes in my life. I have made a significant effort to affect how I approach the world - I am growing up! I am actively working on how I choose to spend my time, how I treat myself and others, and how I give and take. I am shifting my point-of-reference to be more inclusive and adjusting my perceptions to be bathed in love, hope, and compassion. I expect more effort from myself, and the people around me, but without pressure of quantifiable success - there is real quality in a genuine attempt at change, no matter how small. And quality always trumps quantity.

And to celebrate all of this change, I decided to cut my hair. Not a really huge decision, plenty of people cut their hair - there is an entire industry involved with cutting of hair (I should know, I have a very talented and wonderful Uncle who is a hair-genius!). But I have not cut my hair since... June 2010? And even then, it was a trim. I am, and always have been, terrified of cutting my tresses. Not because I am afraid of scissors, nor because I fear that cutting off a single strand would be equivalent to cutting off a limb. Not because my hair is how I identify myself, or how the world identifies me. Not because long hair is more manageable (because it is not!), nor because I particularly like having long hair (because, while I like it, I don't NEED it). When it comes down to it, I am usually a "hung jury" of one when it comes to cutting my hair.

"But, where does the terror play in, Jess?," you might be asking. I am terrified of cutting my hair because, when I do consider cutting my hair, I cannot justify one way or another actually doing it or not doing it, and I look to the guidance of others. But this is a terrible way to make a decision - especially since it is my head and I have to wear the aforementioned poor decision everyday (that's rain, hail, sleet or snow, people!). So paralyzed by my indecision, and my inability to trust in the opinions of those I trust most, I have always just put off making the decision until a later date.

Me, Pre-"chop"

And while the shelved decision waited patiently, collecting dust, my hair grew - and grew - and grew. I noticed this last week that my locks started to become unmanageable: getting in my way while I worked with my neck injury, getting stuck in zippers and sleeves (yes, I said sleeves), super heavy and just plain all-over-the-place. So, I casually mentioned the idea of cutting it to my significant otro, and made an early morning decision yesterday to just schedule a trim at Terry Demarco's Barberia in Foster City, with my hair lady (and I have only been to see this hair lady, like, twice in the last 5 years!), Mimi.

I walked into the salon, which is a very comfortable place to get your hair cut (a lot of really good energy), only to run into my buddy Marielle, who is the sweetest person you will ever meet and has always had hair to the floor for as long as I have known her! I told her I was looking for a change, that I wanted my hair to kind of reflect all of the change in my life, and she pointed out that Barberia is a Lock-of-Love-participating salon. And the stars were aligned!

If I was looking for something to tip the scales, for a reason to "go big or go home," I had found it. And then the decision was easy!

"All off, Mimi - take it all!"

http://www.locksoflove.org/
For those of you that do not know a lot about Locks of Love, it is a national non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to children (persons under 21) suffering from long-term hair loss from any diagnosis. These hair prosthetics are made from donations (like mine) and given to children (all over the US and Canada) to restore their self-esteem and confidence as they face the world. The donation requirements are pretty straight-forward, and if you qualify, I recommend that you do try a new hair-do!

The Barberia Team was really fantastic, and I truly enjoyed my hair-care experience. Mimi gave me a fabulous new 'do (which I am trying to get used to). Amy took plenty of photos pre- and post-cut, even one where I am holding all hair (which, I made me feel kind of creepy, but I was more than happy to do!). If you are interested in donating, and local to the Bay Area, I recommend going to Terry Demarco's Barberia, or ask your hair-people if they participate in the Locks of Love program. 

Did I mention that it was FREE?? Super-surprise bonus! Just another reason to do it - get a fabulous haircut/style/coif by the best!

I am very fortunate that I could participate in the program, help out a little girl/boy who needs my long hair much more than I do, and further commit myself to my cause - to raise funds and awareness for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society! If you are looking for some change, and you want to do something good for someone else, consider contributing your hair to Locks of Love, or make a monetary donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through GeeTEAM!

Thanks again to Mimi, the Barberia Team, and Locks of Love! Check out some pics below of my new 'do - let me know if you like it!

stay tuned!

That is my hair, not my decision, on the shelf!
Shock and "Aww..."!
Still in the chair and with a lot less hair.
The Otro and Me, deciding if we like it.
"It could be worse!"
(P.S. "You really need to return that book.")
We like it. (And we had to take a nice picture
so that people think that we like each other.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Damn you two are so digestingly cute. And damn Jess, you make me wish I had some long locks to donate myself. The new do looks good.

P.s. smoke locks nigga ;)

Jessica Gee said...

Thanks Justin! Aren't we adorable? Brandon is trying to convince me that I don't look like a 12-yr-old. He's not doing a very good job...

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness! I love your new 'do! So pretty! Yay for you for taking the plunge, cutting your hair and donating it to a good cause! Now some little boy or girl out there in chemo treatments will have pretty new hair to wear to school, because of you!

Michelle said...

Love LOVE the new 'do! Good for you!

Marla Wong said...

You look awesome and some lucky person will get you're beautiful hair! way to go sista!

Danielle Gee said...

Nice hair sister. Meow it's between me and court. I like your site alot.