Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hiccups and The Function of the Neck

Hello All,
My sincerest apologies for my long absence from the realm of fundraising and training. I am on my way back (tortoise pace) from the world of injury and have just entered into a phase of life I like to call “Recovery and Awareness.”
Two weeks ago, I suffered a slipped disc in my cervical spine (scary!) and a subsequent muscle spasm in the left half of my neck (painful!), and was on diagnosed bed-rest and in a muscle-relaxer-induced coma for almost an entire week. Coming out of that “coma,” I have found that I have lost a lot:
  • Precious time. I am surprised to find that today is the first of March. Who knew!? March, already! (Women’s History Month people – thank you mother, hug your sister, kiss your significant other, and appreciate all the women who make your existence possible and pleasurable!)
  • Precious training. I looked at my marathon training schedule, and my cross-training schedule, and I was supposed to complete almost 40 miles of run-time in the two weeks I was “out of commission.” Sigh… It is hard not be feel frustrated, and daunted, by the idea of “catching up.”
  • Precious fundraising. “Sidetracked” is the best way to describe the current status of my fundraising campaign. And I have a lot of ground to cover!
  • Precious movement. You do not understand or appreciate the function of the neck until you no longer have a functional neck. Affected functions: essentially everything! Current movement status: 60% on a good day.
Physical therapy, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers, special sleeping arrangements, ergonomic everything, stretching, strengthening, pushing, pulling – it is all terribly uncomfortable, painful, and altogether frustrating.
But I cannot poo-poo on the fact that I have gained a lot from this experience:
  • Precious awareness: of my body – how I have treated it in the past, how I need to treat it in the present, and what I need to be aware of as I transition our of “Recovery” and back into “Training.” I can no longer take advantage of the function of a neck, or any other body part/function – I am blessed to have a working neck and I need to be grateful to it, and thank it, every day.
  • Precious awareness: of my time – lying in bed in a fog for days at a time, losing a sense of myself and time – my time is precious. It can be taken from you swiftly and without warning. I must appreciate the time I am given, and spend it wisely.
  • Precious awareness: of my commitment to Team in Training. This lesson was the most difficult for me to “learn.” It has also had the largest impact. This evening, I contemplate the effect that this injury has had on me – I whine and moan about the pain and the inconvenience this injury has had on “crippling” my daily activity and longer-term goals. But it took me more than two weeks to consider how this injury pales in comparison to the struggle that blood cancer patients endure in their battle with treatment, recover, and remission. I did not choose to work with Team in Training – TNT chose me. I have met patients and survivors, have heard their stories and witnessed their struggles, and I willingly made the sacrifice to train my body (and mind) on their behalf. With my teammates at TNT, we train, endure, achieve and matter.

As I get back into the swing of things (hopefully, sooner rather than later), I need to be mindful not to give myself more than I can handle. I need to be mindful that I am doing all that I can to help those that need me. I need to be mindful that I will achieve my goals and I will do it well! I also need to be mindful that this injury is just a hiccup and that, with time and perspective, I am lucky it is not more serious.

I look forward to getting back to my training and fundraising. And I thank everyone who has been instrumental in my recovery and awareness!
Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“The hardest thing you can do is smile when you are ill, in pain, or depressed. But this no-cost remedy is a necessary first half-step if you are to start on the road to recovery.” - Allen Klein