Friday, April 29, 2011

Growing Among Giants (aka "Run, Forest! Run!")

My training has been plagued with hiccups - rehabing from my neck injury has proven to be more problematic than expected. But I have been programming my rehab into my training for the marathon I will run June 18th in Anchorage, Alaska for Team in Training. I anticipate that this run will be gorgeous and challenging, and I am terrified that there are only 7 weeks between me and the hardest challenge that I have ever chosen to face.

This Sunday, the first of May, is a major milestone in my Team in Training journey. I will be participating in my first "sanctioned' half-marathon - that is 13.1 miles people! The "Avenue of the Giants" is reportedly a beautiful run through the Humboldt Redwoods State Park. I will be passing through and amongst the ancient redwoods Sunday morning.

While I have reached the mileage in my training, and I am aware of my ability to complete the mileage again, I am still very nervous. Running is largely a mental exercise for me. And every run, however short or long, is more practice in the art of distract myself. We cannot use iPods or other devices during these runs (safety issue), so I have been learning how to run without music. I have discovered a few keys to success on the long runs. First is scenery - I like to run on trails; I cannot run indoors, on tracks, nor up/down the street. Second, I am completing these runs for the Honorees that The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society supports; I am running for Matt and Rob.

I am competing against myself. I work hard so that I can complete these endurance events to honor the fight that blood cancer patients and survivors endure. My training goals for this season are to complete these runs, on behalf of our Honorees. I will have to be cautious of my neck, it might take me hours to cross the finish line, I might walk more distance than I would like, I might not feel great when I finish, but I am WILL finish 13.1 miles this Sunday for Rob and for Matt. Go TEAM!


stay tuned!

No comments: